Spider Sheet Metal

I am currently repairing the rusty floor pans and spare tire well in my
'76 Spider. I have fabricated multiple pie shaped pieces and welded them

into the spare wheel "cavities" and they don't look half bad. Basically
I'm learning to weld sheet metal in a place where nobody is likely to
see it, thus I can screw up. Anyway, I'm pondering removal of the front
jacking points in order to repair the foot well rust and eventually the
front fender rust. Does anyone have any advice on getting them out and
being able to re-use them? I'm also thinking of not putting them back in

at all since they seem to promote decay, and using them puts the door
and fender bodywork in some amount of jeopardy. Is this a stupid move
since I would have to carry another type of jack to do a tire change?
I'm kind of partial to scissor-jacks anyway. Anyone see any real
problems with this plan?

Thanks,
Jason Glover
'76 Spider