Re: Engine electronics

There are already universal ECUs for engine management, and they've
been available for years.  Most of them are field programmable, and can
even be programmed while the engine is running.  There are even hobbyist
grade systems you can build yourself available.  I have two sitting on
my workbench as I type this.

However, engine management is increasingly becoming a smaller and smaller
part of the electronics in modern cars.  A Porsche Boxster has, I'm told,
seven computers on-board.  ABS, traction control, climate control, etc.
I doubt there will EVER be a universal ABS or yaw control system, simply
because they require a lot of knowledge about the particular car, and
they have a huge liability risk.  Also, engine management itself it getting
well below the simple control of fuel and spark.  Throttle by wire,
electronic valve control, and per-cylinder sensing and control of the fuel
and spark in real-time are either here or soon will be.  This kind of
thing will be very difficult to replicate outside the huge R&D operations
of major automakers.  Even small automakers will find it very hard to
develop these technologies on their own.

james montebello