re: Cam timing and clearances

Tony,

    Referencing this tattered red shankle catalog....
    The Stock specs for the Euro cams call for lobe centers at 99.5 deg
as differing from the stock Spica cams of 1977,  102 deg lobe centers.
There isn't any reason you couldn't install them at the 102 deg values
but you'd be losing some low end. Try it,, see what you think! with some
practice you can make cam timing changes in less that an hour. I can do
it in about 15 minutes.
    Also, clearance for the intake Euro cams is given at .018 instead of
.019  whereas .021 is used in both instances for the exhaust cam.

    regarding the appearance of various pistons....
    I THINK..... that the 9:1 pistons have a fairly modest dome
                        the 10:1 pistons are "flat top"
                        the 10.4:1 piston have a fairly aggressive dome
go figure.
    from talking with Nasko, he seems to prefer the 10:1 flat top
pistons.

Paul Irvine has some photos of 10.4;1 pistons on his web page
    http://home.pcmagic.net/pi/project/spider/engine/assemble.htm

 i have a new set of "flat tops" if you'd like to see them.....I'm in
oregon city or i could e-mail a photo to you.

Norm