164 stepper motor repair finished!

I finally finished installing the replacement metal
stepper motor gears and I'm quite pleased with the
result.  So far no new squeaks or rattles and no
leftover screws even!  It's truly a frustrating job
and thats from someone who usually doesn't mind
interior work.  Even with the dash pulled a few inches
away it's still pretty difficult to reach the motors
themselves.  I couldn't reach the stepper area from
below or above the dash.  The only way for me was to
reach behind the dash from the pass. door jamb.  No
one task in the project is particularly difficult but
there are simply so many components to be removed for
access and a few very akward reaches.  The dash to
defrost vent screws are a pain even with the
appropriate offset screwdriver.  The threads often
strip if they've ever been pulled out and replaced,
(they strip in place and just turn and turn without
coming out.)  Cutting off the temp. cable retaining
clip is no fun because of the reach issue.  The
instructions mention the need for a very long phillips
screwdriver to access the defrost piping screw via the
hole in the glovebox.  I found that method to be a big
hassle with dash not in place.  It was much easier to
simply again use the offset screwdriver reaching
behind the end of the dash.  I found the floor
console, radio console, heat/AC controls and
instrument cluster to be quite simple to remove.  The
pass. vent is kinda difficult to remove without
breaking it.  Overall I think the key to this job is
patience and to have a reliable back-up car for at
least three full days.  Don't attempt this project if
you expect to be driving it again in just a day or
two.  Many have done it in a day but there are too
many little bugs that can happen to eat up lots of
time.  Good luck to anyone attempting this job, you'll
need it!

Rgds,
Jerry, San Francisco
'91 164S