nuts up

Tess,
       You must be feeling better if you are worried about Olive Oyl.  Are
you talking about the 10 or 12 mm 4 or 5 inch long bolt that the alternator
pivots on?  If so, it was indeed double nutted under the alternator where you
cannot see it.  Did they fail to get it attached correctly when they did the
water pump?
       Only reason I can think of for not putting it in backwards is that it
would rub on the fan belt.  I looked at an engine I have sitting in the
garage and the bolt would go in backwards, but I have never done it that way.
 I am sure that the head of the nut just clears the fan belt.  The other end
of the bolt with double nuts would rub on fan belt.
       Just my not at all humble opinion.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City