Re- John's fan data

Follow up to John's excellent write up of the Vandenberg papers- he lists the fan improvement at 7hp at 5500rpm, and then speculates on extrapolating out to a possible 7000rpm redline (which I sometimes get really close to...).

Anyway, fan and air pumping losses are a function of speed squared.  So, theoretically, increasing the rpm from 5500 to 7000, one may see a 60% increase of power, which would be going from 7hp to about 11hp.

Which, to me, suggests that the 10hp increase at 7000 rpm is reasonable.

Eric Storhok
Core Emissions and Fuel Economy Team
Advanced Powertrain Engineering
(313)33x75011