Re: Burman Steering Box

Hi Tony,
I had a similar dilemma with my first GTV 5 years ago.  Box #1 literally
blew apart as I drove into the driveway.  I still have the tube as my
breaker bar.  I replaced it with a used one that ended up having so much
slop in it that it was dangerous.  I then got another used one that had
Zero slop.  That third box was suppossedly from a spider and as you
stated they are "suppossed" to fit. Well, it fit fine except the shaft
and tube it resides in is approximately 1/4" inch shorter than the GTV,
which meant it rubbed the plastic around the steering column and rubbed
against the aluminum bracket that all the switchgear is attached to.
 VERY frustrating as this steering box change was done with the motor in
the car.  By the time I got to do it a third time I could remove and
replace the thing in about 4 hours.

I strongly suggest that since you can remove the box very easily with
the motor out, start searching for a good used one and compare them very
carefully to each other with a tape measure!!!  New ones (if you could
find them were near 900 dollars) and the two used ones I bought were 75
and 125 each.

Good luck,
Antonio
87'Verde FOR SALE in Astoria NY