Cold atomization

Chris,
In some of the testing we've done on dyno's and whatnot, many engines get more power when injecting on an open valve.  The danger in this is bore wash...

I'm not sure what you mean by the Haltech causing problems, no doubt that it will though.  What I meant was that 5 or 6 years ago, a high speed video camera was placed in the intake of a test motor.

Talk about fascinating results- the cold start injection was perfect- the cone was the same as the print.  Immediately after it started to run, you could see some of the fuel puddle on the walls, since it was so "cold" but that disappeared pretty quickly (and the transient fuel that we work with is reasonably small).

The interesting part was watching the spray pattern- the cone shape changed as manifold pressure, port temperature, and engine speed changed.  It went from a nice cone, to an odd looking stream- like a pencil, the theory being that the fuel properties are at a point where it will kind of group together.

30-40 seconds into the test, that went away, and all that was left was a fog- almost all of the fuel was vapor coming out of the injector.

One of the coolest technical videos I've ever seen.

Eric Storhok
Core Emissions and Fuel Economy Team
Advanced Powertrain Engineering
(313)33x75011