69 GTV vacuum boosters

In V8 #459 Dan Walker expresses his concern for the cost of restoring
the brake system for a '69 GTV:  "I took the liberty of emailing White
Post Restorations in Virginia.  While they didn't tell me the cost of a
master cylinder rebuild, they did tell me the cost for rebuilding a
vacuum booster.  $470, EACH !"

*********

Dan, it is admittedly not inexpensive to restore the brakes on these
cars, but not quite as bad as White Post quoted you for the boosters.
IAP offers (must be new since they don't say rebuilt) boosters for
$236.95 each. Should you care to rebuild your own, you'll need two kits
per booster which total $105.20 for the pair.

You're not clear if your friend is willing to sell his '69 GTV or if you
simply like his and would find one somewhere. I'm considerably more
experienced with the '69 Spider, but assume the systems are the same or
very close. I'd estimate my cost for restoring the entire brake system,
including parts, labor, boosters, calipers, pads, hoses, brake bias
valve, etc. would be roughly $1,400.

Should you REALLY luck out (especially if the car has been sitting for
some time) and you do all of the work, you might get by for around $450.

Obviously take that into consideration if / when purchasing a '69  Alfa.

They are (both) awfully nice cars and the brakes work quite well when
all has been done properly.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA