re: Spider performance

    I REALLY enjoyed Russ' post about what he's done to his various cars
to prepare them for racing. there are alot of good ideas and insights
there.....

    George has a great idea to post this info divided into various
categories, especially a steetable "who cares" level of preparation , i
suspect this is what most people are interested in. This is a common
question, asking about euro cams and drivability issues, people should
know what is possible and what to expect.

    I would also echo Jim's comments about hot spider motors being
emissions compliant...
    I can't speak to the EFI cars but with Spica or (better yet)
modified Spica it is very possible. We have the added advantage which
exempts cars over a certain age.
    Not only that , runs fine on premium pump gas. (if it's like mine,
similar to jim's and paul irvines')
    Yes, it is a hot street motor but better yet its a strippable HOT
motor.....change the cam timing a bit and the whole character changes.
Very handy for track days, yet so steetable people ask me if I'm using
euro cams.

 Norm

    ( last time i autocrossed the berlina with the willamette auto club
they didn't even ask me what class i *thought* it should be in. (motor
ran great,  but the brakes yanked the wheel out of my hand when i used
'em)

    Pittatore cams
    OS intake valves
    Jon Norman (Dan Marvin) ported head and bored 40mm throttle bodies
    10.4:1 pistons
    head shaved .020   (11:1 comp)
    marelliplex
    GTA headers
    This was all done before there was a Sperry valve works or Ingram
enterprises but a
    Ingram HP pump makes a difference

    Cut springs (1 coil off the front, 1 1/2 off the rears)
    Koni reds on front (they were on the car and working when i bought
it, i wouldn't have spent the money)
    Adjustable upper arms (1 1/2 deg neg camber, 0 toe)
    stock spica shocks rear
    2 (count 'em) stock front sway bars (thanks to John Cordell, you out
there somewhere Jack?)
    Stock rear sway bar.
    lightened cast flywheel
    Carden modified gearbox
    Trofitter modified  4:56 LSD

    soon to be.......
    Alum flywheel  (thanks brian)
    and GTA gearbox
    or maybe a 4:10 LSD...(good idea george)
    or maybe both.