Classing performance engines

       I agree that the engine described is a hot street engine, useless for
racing.  Both the Solo II Production class rules on page 196 and the SCCA E
Production rules on page PCS-32 specify that the valves must be no larger
than 1.73 inches intake and 1.57 inches exhaust.  The oversized valves make
the engine illegal.  Another example of why people need to buy a rule book
before starting on building a race car.
       The engine might be legal for SCCA GT-3, but it would not be
competitive.  It is not modified nearly enough for a real race engine.  Good
thing that it passes smog, which was the owner's original comment.
       Many of the race classes where the engine might run do not allow Spica
injection.  I am not knowledgeable enough about the Solo rules, but it
appears that stock type fuel injection might be allowed in Solo II Production
classes.  Spica is not legal in E Production.
       There are lots of sanctioning bodies out there, all with their own
rules.  What ever you build, read the rule book before you start.
       The AROC rules are more or less "run whacha brung" - they specify
points for various modifications, which in turn determine the class the car
competes in.  So yes, that engine could run at the AROC National Convention.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City