Re: Classing performance engines

--- jim <jim@domain.elided> wrote:
> At 10:11 AM 2/9/02 -0500, George suggested:
>
> >1. Street use (emissions compliant and who cares)
> >2. AROC Autocross & Time trials
> >3. SCCA Stock class Autocross (Solo II)
> >4. SCCA Street Prepared class Autocross (Solo II)
> >5. SCCA Time Trials (Solo I)
> >6. SCCA Improved Touring racing (IT)
> >
> >Comments?
> >
> >George Schweikle
> >Lexington, KY
>
> I just sold a Spica injected spider with:
>
> 10.4 piston/liners
> Pitatori(sp) cams
> big valves
> Ingram modified injection pump
> Marelliplex
>
> It psssed California smog with no trouble, where
> would you class that? I
> think emission compliant can fit several of his
> catagories.

Not necessarily -- the SCCA specs would put that in
Prepared class autocrossing, or Production category
road racing (any single one of the cam, compression,
and valves would do that).  I'm not up on AROC
competition regs, I'll defer to Russ on that issue.

So that engine is clearly in George's category 1 -- a
hot street motor, useless in racing, but I bet it'd be
a lot of fun on the tour I'm getting ready to leave
for!

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon
http://greetings.yahoo.com