RML Ignition systems......worth it?

In a message dated 02/08/2002 11:28:31 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 14:14:41 -0800 (PST)
> From: Marcus Miller <msmiller_spiritone@domain.elided>
> Subject: RML Ignition systems......worth it?
>
> Alfisti-
>
> Recently had a vacuum sensor go out on my '87 Spider.
> Replacement cost=$300.  So instead, due to the
> recommendations of some of you, I opted to purchase an
> RML ignition system $350.
>
> For those that have installed the RML kit....did
> anyone truely see any added HP or performance?  Just
> curious.
>
> Marcus
> - -87 Spider Grad

       Are you talking about the vacuum sensor that bolts high on the
passenger side behind the seat?  It connects to the engine with a long clear
plastic tube?  If so, they should be readily available at junk yards.  Or
write to people who appear to be parting out an L Jetronic spider to see if
they have that.  It is such an inconsequential appearing part, that they do
not seem to show up on eBay.
       I have considered installing a normal distributor on my 84 spider race
car.  The purpose is to be able to adjust total ignition advance and to get a
quicker advance curve.  Set up correctly, it should wake up the performance
slightly.
       I have no personal experience with the RML kit.  So we need you to
relate any gains you think you have.  I doubt you are going to gain more than
a couple of horses.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City