From: <AlfaNeely@domain.elided>
To: <alfa-digest@domain.elided>
Cc: <Simmons5@domain.elided>
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2002 12:16 AM
Subject: L Jetronic Alfa Spider Performance

I have been asked what to do to wake up the performance of the L Jetronic
Alfa Spider.  (snip)

I build the 82 in 1995 and the 84 was built in 1999.  Both were built with
SCCA race and solo rule books in mind.
The 84 is a dedicated race car and was built for the Improved Touring race
class.
The 82 was sort of built as an IT car, but with thoughts of SCCA Street
Prepared class too.
Both rule books require stock camshafts.
The rule book for IT requires a basically stock engine with a stock air flow
meter, stock intake manifold, stock camshafts including VVT.
The IT rule book allows head cutting to achieve up to half a point increase
in compression.  The IT rules also allow 0.040 inch (1 mm) oversized
pistons.

Since the 82 is a street car and occasionally autocrossed in Street
Prepared, I could modify it further.  The SCCA Street Prepared class allows
pretty much unrestricted intake.  That means Webers are legal.  I am not
sure what all can be done legally with an EFI in this class.  I guess I need
to read the rule book I just bought. Both cars have modified suspensions and
wider sticky tires.  I could write a whole other article on that.

 Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City