Re: 69 GTV brake reservoir needed

--- John W <johnwsf@domain.elided> wrote:
> I am need of a 1969 brake fluid reservoir
> (rectangular)for my GT Veloce.

Are these the same rectangular reservoirs as used in
later cars, or something Wholly Other?  I am aware
that 1969 was a transitional year for GTVs, as at
least SOME of them used floor-mounted master
cylinders; I'm fairly sure that the master cylinder in
my old Junior (listen up, Jeff) is from a '69, because
we used the hydraulic clutch setup, which is also
floor mounted, and I think it was just easier to
install the whole pedal box.  I do remember that we
were able to use the reservoir and hard line from the
'67 Junior, routing it down to the input of the
floor-mounted master.

> Apparently, they are
> made of unobtanium and I am SOL.  Does anyone have a
> spare collecting dust or know of a replacement
> source?
>  I have heard a rumor that perhaps the BMW2002
> reservoir is similar.

Before you give up and try a transplant, try AlfaStop
(http://www.alfastop.co.uk)

Yeah -- here it is:

http://www.alfastop.co.uk/english/giulia105.html

Under "Miscellaneous."  I'm guessing this is the round
one, as the picture they have for the mounting bracket
is round, presumably for the (earlier) round
reservoir.

Also, try here, as they tend to have great prices:

http://www.alfahurtienne.de/htdocs/english/index.htm

They show the rectangular reservoir (well, it's the
same style used on my '74 Spider, not the kind that
was on my '67 Junior).

So the question is, does the reservoir mount directly
on a (firewall-mounted) brake master cylinder, or is
it a remote reservoir and a long tube?  If the latter,
and you don't particularly care about originality, you
have a wealth of opportunities, starting with the
early style reservoir.

Best,

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon