Re: OT:Pollution & Old Vehicles

At 10:56 PM 2/7/02, Lawrence.Gowin@domain.elided wrote:
>I've heard it takes more energy to make a car than it will burn in its
>entire functional lifetime.  It makes sense when you consider the mining of
>the raw materials, the creation of the steel, forging of components, etc.
>Lawrence

Absolutely correct, Lawrence ! Total "life cycle" energy use is what
_matters_ !!

As applied to housing, it is interesting to note that a hand crafted,
Scandinavian scribe fit type log home, for which the logs are skidded using
draft horses and which is fitted using (hand powered) croass cut saw, adz,
and broad axe is by _FAR_ the lowest life cycle energy use type of housing
!! :-)

The same would likely apply to auto body work hammered by hand over wooden
bucks (if it didn't take so darn much electricity to smelt the aluminium) !
:-)

Greg