RE: Question about smog testing in San Rafael, CA - referral

>As for the requirement to smog upon ownership change, Im in >agreement with
>the poster earlier today that said there was a time limit of >something like
>45-60 days, after which the SELLER is responsible for smog >certification
>prior to title transfer.  Insist that it is current before you clear >the
>check to the seller, IMHO.

This may be the law, but it is totally moot when it comes to our
cars. I lost a perfect red 74 GTV becuase as the lady was about to
get the smog check for me, someone came to look at it and bought it
with cash and said he'd take care of the smog. She had already
promised it to me and just left me a message (too afraid to talk
to me) to tell what she did. Most people sell Alfas "as is" and it's
up to you to take care of the smog, regardless of the law.
If you insist on a smog, someone else will buy it later. Even these
days with Alfettas - if it'll pass smog, people will buy it quick,
without a smog. If it won't pass, it's sold "as is". Either way, it
ends up with the buyer doing the smog.

Strange, but true.

Stefano
Oakland, CA