Leaking Alfetta Rear Caliper Adjuster

In V8 #437 Leslie Wong has questions about a weeping right rear brake
caliper on his '79 Alfetta GT (Sprint Veloce)

*******

Leslie, unfortunately when going through my recent transaxle switching,
I did reinstall a right weeping caliper. The cost of a rebuilt one from
IAP is $110  with core. However, it didn't quite fit into the old budget
along with everything else. I didn't like doing so, but never see fluid
on the floor and rarely, if ever, have to add fluid.

I only use the emergency brake when absolutely necessary since I feel
this causes it to leak more and puts added stress on the seal. I had to
replace the caliper early in its life (around '80) because it was
leaking a lot. However, by wrapping the tailpipe with exhaust tape and
using the emergency brakes sparingly, this one has lasted reasonably
well for 22 years.

I believe someone has either described the procedure for rebuilding on
the Digest (believe I printed it out, but can't find it at the moment)
or possibly they have it on a website. I know I always cry poor, but
believe I'd rather pop for the $110 than rebuild myself. These are
apparently quite complex calipers, especially if you're doing it for the
first time.

Obviously if you're a very aggressive driver and / or time trialing,
etc., then by all means fix / replace it.

Regarding the rotors: If they're not overly grooved / worn, then don't
change. However, since you'll have to take one off when replacing the
caliper, might as well. I did mixing and matching when swapping
transaxles. The donor car's were very rusty but smooth, unlike the one's
from my driver car. I knew the rust would wear off quickly on the pad
surface, but had them sandblasted since I was having some other items
done. I did the adjusting on the shop floor and have always gone by
sound and feeltighten up one adjuster at a time, then back off until it
is no longer dragging.

While doing this, I was amazed how much the disc actually distorted when
really tightening. So I used a lot more finesse and probably ended up
with the pads slightly farther away than in past adjustments when I
couldn't see as well.

While not highly significant, the overall braking seems better and
smoother. Not sure if it was the 'newish' discs or the
adjustingprobably a bit of both.

I suggest keeping a pretty close eye on the caliper and brake fluid
reservoir, but if you're a fairly smooth, non-aggressive driver, think
you have some time before needing to replace.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA