What can you buy for $60 ??

Forgive the lateness but I am about a week behind in my AD reading.

In AD V8 #415  Ralph Fetsch imparted some priceless information about
comparitive costs of everyday commodities in the USA.  I have been wondering
for some time how the costs in the USA compared to my country - South
Africa - were the exchange rate went into a free-fall over Xmas.  It has now
recovered some but today the rate is about R11 to $1.

So lets see how the price of fuel compares.

What $60 buys:

American Express card dues
Two (2) carton of cigarettes.
Twenty four (24) beers at a bar.
One (1) months cable bill.
Six (6) car washes.
Four (4) movie tickets.
Forty-eight (48) gallons of gas.
Tips for valet parking.
Fifteen (15) double quarter pounders with cheese.
One (1) Sony Playstation game.

I was rather astounded to see 48 gallons!   Then I did some figuring
and this equates to $1.25/gallon (US)

1 US gallon is equal to 0.8 gallon Imperial and this is then equal to 3.6
litres
$1.25 x 11 = R13.75
Our premium fuel is about R3.75 / litre
Using Ralphs figures this converts to R3.81 / litre  - WOW we are getting a
better deal than the USA!!

The cost of cigarettes is often distorted due to high taxation.  Here a
carton costs about R100.  This is equal to $9.  Ralphs costing gives a
figure of $30 per carton.  WOW - we are definitely better!

Take the beer price.  $2.5 for a bottle (how big??) assume it is the oft
used pint or about 350ml.  Here the cost in a bar down the street is about
R9, in US terms $0.81.  Ralphs figure would have me being a teetotaller.

Oh well I guess you can't draw direct comparisons between costs in different
countries, but the start of it all was about AROC dues and whether the
current fees are fair compared to what you get as a member.  In my
experience members get out of an organisation/club/ society what they are
prepared to put into it, apart from money!

just my musings, use it or press the delete button.

John Fielding
Durban
South Africa

Alfetta 1.8L turbo