R5 Turbo - no Alfa content

and Joe Cabibbo wrote:
> We had a R5 Turbo II come along on our fall AROC rally last year and it was
> a pretty cool car that had gobs of power and made a very interesting exhaust
> note. The squat proportions are much better in person than photos. The owner
> imported the car himself and loved it, he said the biggest difficulty right
> now is finding rear meats for it.

There are R5 Turbo's and then there are R5 Turbo's. The R5 Alpine Turbo was a
110bhp pushrod turbocharged transverse FWD machine from late 70's early 80's.

http://auto.sport.free.fr/r5alpine.htm

Interesting enough, but if you want a small FWD car from that era, then why not
go Italian and get an Alfasud ti or Lancia Beta Coupe?

The R5 Turbo 1, R5 Turbo 2 and R5 Turbo Maxi on the other hand, are mid engined
Group 4/B homologation specials with super wide rear wheel arch extensions and
anything from 160bhp to more than 400bhp. They achieved World Rally
Championship wins in places like Monte Carlo and Tour de Corse.

http://digilander.iol.it/turbozag/R5Turbo.htm
http://digilander.iol.it/turbozag/R5MaxiTurbo.htm

Amazing little cars, but unfortunately, not many people seem to offer these as
part exchange for a Spider.

Best Regards
Lex Jenner