Re: Prominent owners of cars

Well, no offense to Pat or any of the other Alfa people you mentioned,
but I don't think their prior ownership would do anything to the value
of a car. If I was buying directly from Pat though then perhaps I
would feel the car had been taken a bit better care of. Beyond that,
I don't think it would make any difference especially if the car is
coming from someone else as with the one you used as an example. I
would think that a cars owner history would only make a difference if
that prior owner was someone known by the world at large, and not just
a small group of folk..like us Alfa nuts. I would also feel that the
prior owner would have to be of some interest, either as a statesman,
showman, whatever. Something to make the car a center of attraction as
a show piece as opposed to a driver.

Ed

SEEM> Does having a prominent previous owner really make an Alfa more valuable??

SEEM> The reason I ask is that there is a 2600 Sprint on Ebay that is listed as a ex-Pat Braden car. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=601602225&tc=photo5356)

SEEM> It seems that the current owner isn't trying to take advantage of it- more of a FIY thing ($1500 opening bid, no reserve).

SEEM> But, lets say that he was trying- does a Braden, Benson, Don Black, Paul Tenney, etc... pvs owner make a car more valuable?  Of course, if it were Horst Q.(sp?), Nuvolari, or Ferrari, that is a
SEEM> different story.  What I want to ponder are the historic club people or people vital the Alfa US...  Perhaps the Grinch is a bad example- he did have success racing.  And Don supported racing
SEEM> in a manner that most of us can't believe.

SEEM> Anyway, what do you think?

SEEM> Eric Storhok
SEEM> Core Emissions and Fuel Economy Team
SEEM> Advanced Powertrain Engineering
SEEM> (313)33x75011
SEEM> MD 35, FPC-B
SEEM> Ford Motor Company

SEEM> --
SEEM> to be removed from alfa, see /bin/digest-subs.cgi
SEEM> or email "unsubscribe alfa" to majordomo@domain.elided