do I recall right? Milano oil leak

In a message dated 01/30/2002 6:53:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> First I'd like to thank Brian Shorey, Paul Begeman, Joel Lewis, Russ Neely
> for replying to my previous post regarding an oil leak at the rear of the
> engine in my Milano 2.5  The car has an oil leak at the rear of the engine,
>
> and was diagnosed by a well respected local Alfa mechanic as most likely a
> leaky rear main seal or the cigarette seals.
> The consesus from all of you has been that I should check the oil pressure
> sender unit for leaks.  Well, it was replaced about 20k miles ago, and
> uppon
> further inspection, it seems fine.  No leaks there, as far as I could tell,
>
> although my oil pressure gauge now wonders a little bit when the engine is
> at idle (cold or hot).  Reads fine at speed, but has, what I like to call,
> nervous tick at idle.
> The leak seams to originate at the back of the engine, towards the bottom
> on
> the passenger side.  It is more evident when the car is on a lift.  Would
> this still be consistent with a leaky rear seal or cigarette seals?

I seem to recall there are TWO senders at the rear of the engine, not too
distant: one is for the oil pressure gauge, the other for the oil pressure
idiot light.  Through the mists of memory, I think they're both on the
driver's side in a conventional layout, on the passenger side if you enjoy
Brit drive.  But no matter where you are, or what your local driving
practices, either or both can leak.  Before suspecting something more
complicated, make sure all the simplest, easiest, (OK, Alfisti: cheapest)
possibilities are investigated first.