Re: car shipping, out of state buying

Ross,

I used DAS for a car purchased out of state.

All I can say from personal experience is don't buy
the car unless you have a service or mechanic of YOUR
choosing have a look at the car. I bought a car this
way once, established trust with the buyer (enough
that we exchanged title and certified funds by fed ex
at the same time on each others word) but found
significant engine work was needed beyond the faults
described by the seller. This despite $10,000 in
verified receipts for work already done.

Trusting person that I am, I still believe the seller
was unaware of the extent of the work needed, and did
go to great lengths to describe the car's needs.
However, I may have not purchased the car knowing it
needed extensive mechanical restoration. In truth, I
don't regret the particular circumstance because I
made the mistake of falling for the car, so it's a
keeper (AMG 6.0 Wagon).

I don't mean to be an alarmist, only to convey a
valuable lesson that I learned buying a car long
distance- get it checked out completely so you know
what is coming off the truck.

Just an FYI, I've noticed an inordinate number of ebay
'luxury' car hawkers located in Houston and the
surrounding areas all with different names. If it's
not a private owner, I would do some due diligence
there as well.

Best of luck,

Dave

http://auctions.yahoo.com