From: Charles Slayman [mailto:Charles.Slayman@domain.elided]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 3:16 PM
To: Rex.McInvale@domain.elided
Subject: Re: The VVT device must be Voodoo.....

Rex,
	The easiest way to check out the mechanical part of the VVT is to
disconnect the wires to the solenoid and apply 12V directly to the solenoid
from
the battery.  You sould hear the soleniod click as it engages the little
drive
pin that goes through the valve cover.  This advances the intake cam and
should
cause the idle to drop a few hundred rpm.  If the idle rpms don't drop, the
cam
is not getting advanced.  This could be caused by two things:
	1)  The electric soleniod is not working.  Remove the solenoid from
the
valve cover and apply 12V.  You should see the pin move.  If it doesn't, the

solenoid is bad.  If it does, then
	2)  The mechanical advance mechanism on the cam is bad.  It's
getting
pushed by the solenoid, but it's not advancing the cam timing.

	Now, once you've diagnosed the solenoid and mechanical advance
mechanisms (and fixed anything that is broken), there is one final check -
the
ECU actuation of the VVT.  At idle, the VVT should be off (ie 0V to the
solenoid).  Increase the rpm and the ECU should send a 12V signal to the
solenoid (I forget the exact value, something like 2500 or 3500 rpm).  You
can
check this with a voltmeter, or just watch the pin on the solenoid (you can
run
the engine with it off the valve cover).

Cheers,
Charlie
'89 Spider