Re: The VVT device must be Voodoo.....

Rex,

For some time I have been wondering what has been causing an
erratic idle on the 1989 ALFA75 Twin Spark, and the other weekend
whilst servicing (cleaning) the intakes, I found something that
made me again say "I hate that".

To get to the point, I found that the vacuum hose junctions that
connect the plastic hoses to the storage canister(?) had cracked.
Three of them.  The vacuum leak was causing several inconsistent
problems, and the point I make is that it is often not the
complicated things (the VVT) that are always at fault.

I have had several replies over the years from people who have
have suggested that the VVT either works or doesn't, so it may
not be your problem.  I have also wondered about the idle speed
stabiliser that my version of the 4 cylinder motor uses.
Whenever I cleaned it the erratic idle would stop.  What was
probably happening was that it was moving the vacuum lines and
sealing the cracks.

Moral:  keep it simple, don't always blame the computer or the
complicated device, it may be a cracked hose!

YMMV,
david
---
David Masters