was re: 74 Spider for sale

Jim -

Sorry to hear that you have to sell your Spider.  No, I am not in the
market for another car at this point.

I will/can not speak to the specifics of a 164, although I am sure
others can and will

The tires though......I would recommend almost any major brand of good
repute.  Look at the tire specs for treadwear, temperature and
traction.  The lower the treadwear, with 100 being arbitrarily assigned
as a nominal figure to compare against, the quicker the tires will wear
out.  I have run higher performance tires on most the cars I have owned,
and have typically seen my tires last between 25 and 35 thousand miles.
That is a mix of driving, highways, canyons, and city.  The treadwear
numbers have been in the 160 - 180 range.  My cars are smaller than the
164, so that may skew things.  I also seem to remember hearing comments
on the Digest that tire wear is not the 164's forte.  I think.

Treadwear numbers in the mid to high 200s should buy a tire with
reasonable wear.  Remember, that in this case YMMV *really does*make the
difference.  How you drive, what kind of roads, etc, etc. all have to
get factored in.  You driving needs, other than simply tread wear,
should be taken into account in choosing a tire right for you, your
driving style, and car of choice.

Sorry I can't provide specific makes and models of tires, but the
choices are VERY numerous.

J Negrin
ARO So Cal
76 Alfetta GT - shod with 205/50 VR 15 Dunlop W-10s, on Ronal 15 x 7
wheels

Due to health reasons I cannot easily drive my 74 Alfa Spider any more.
My
Spider is for sale and displayed at www.arkansasvalleycarclub.com/Alfa.
am asking $5000 for this car which I think is reasonable.

I have purchased an automatic 164L ( 1991 ) because I can still deal
with a
car with power steering and easier access. I have several questions!

Nothing lights up when the doors are opened
The overhead lights don't work either, where is the fuse?
Are these two related?
The power back seats appear to be binding on something, they try to work

but can't move the seat far (1/4 ince or so )
I saw some comments on performance tires a while ago, but what are best
for
longivity to someone who drives like a little old man ( I'm old but not
little )

Jim Hodgers
74 Spider for now
91 164L
1970 Land Cruiser Wagon ( 350 automatic )
98 Dacota