Dues increase---NOT!

No this isn't about a dues increase.
My Milano has a starter problem, I write the digest asking questions and
someone else starts a hot thread about dues!  Meanwhile I get one response
(Thanks Scott) and I am still stuck.
Three dragging starts in two days (I thought the battery was weak) then
nothing.  I ran a cable (with a switch in the middle) from the positive
battery cable to the firewall junction box and got nothing.  I'm assuming that
either the starter or the cable from the junction box to the starter is
toast.
My shop manual (IAP) only shows how to bench test and rebuild the starter
after it is off of the car and a few sentences about removing it after the
entire engine has been removed.
It looks like the exhaust manifold and heat shield being removed should give
me access to everything I need to change it from over the fender.  Is this a
correct assumption?  Any pitfalls I need to know about in advance?

Not as juicy as a dues increase but I need help just the same.

Kevin Smith
Nashville, TN
87 Milano
86 Spider