Re: GPS and altitude (was speedo error) diminishing Alfa content.

In a message dated 1/26/02 10:47:03 PM Central Standard Time,
schaferbs@domain.elided writes:

<< There is no adjustment for altitude on any GPS.  GPS is dependent on RF
 signals from satelites (at least 3 to give correct location, speed  and
 altitude) so altitude of the receiver has no bearing on position, speed or
 altitude. >>

Actually my receiver has a way to manually enter altitude. According to the
manual 3 satellites will give a position fix and as well as speed and
heading.  4 satellites are required to compute elevation.  Magellan calls
these two modes 2D (manually entered) and 3D (GPS computed).  I don't know
why there is a feature for manually entered altitude unless altitude induces
an error similar to the height of eye correction for celestial navigation.
If so I would imagine it would be more noticeable in aeronautical navigation.
 Maybe I'll experiment with taking fixes with different altitudes entered and
see if the EP changes.  Actually I was thinking of getting out my sextant and
taking a fix to see how close I could come. (way too much time on my hands)

Either way my speedo is still reading too slow.

Mitch Fisher
'74 Spider
37-42.9N
121-55.3W