Chrysler CD player in 164

In Alfa Digest #405, Sonny signs off by noting that he has equipped
his 164S with an OEM-looking Chrysler CD player.  I went this route just
last weekend, installing a Chrysler "Infinity" combination CD-Cassette
player in my 93 164L.  These units, from Chrysler products up to model
year 2001, are plentiful on Ebay, and sell for between $150 and
$250. (2001 and later cars adopted a more rounded radio panel that won't
work.  Mine was from a Dakota pickup - the trucks and jeeps kept the
square shape longer than the cars did.)  If anyone is interested in
trying this, I can say that electrically, the unit was totally plug and
play.  Power, illumination, power antenna and speakers all were wired the
same as my original, with the same connectors.  Although the faceplate
was exactly the same dimensions, I did have to do a good bit of custom
fitting, because some of the overhangs were different and I had to remove
the two plastic mounting tabs.  The rear mounting was different as well,
but I was able to modify the orignal Alfa mounting plate to accommodate
the new radio.  The result is a very decent sounding, professional,
"OEM-looking" installation- the only evidence of Chrysler is a small,
unobtrusive pentagon logo.  Pete WestaferBerkeley Lake, GA USA93 164L -
new CD player but still troubleshooting engine mounts and CV joints
(first things first) --- Peter Westafer--- pwestafer@domain.elided