Subjectre

There you go again, Dan, getting all rational and sensible.

I think you have a 50/50 situation here.

The lighter socket is a great idea.  I don't know about the sizes and
how that would work (can't be THAT bad, logic says, without measuring a
thing).  Too many good reasons not to follow the Alfa decision to have a
*real* cigarette lighter, and, rather, get a universal 12V electrical
outlet into the cockpit.  Good luck on that one.

One the battery/charging circuit idea for a stereo.  I would research
this VERY carefully.  You may want to have an aux battery with an
RV-type of circuit, which would allow you to use it all day long, if you
wish, but never have it used for starting the car.  Use a marine
battery, if memory serves.  Something which can tolerate a deep cycle.
I would not trust a generator and a single battery with something that
draws that kind of amperage.  That's more than what the high beams of H4
lights put out (60watts = 5 amps, each).  Some of the more knowledgeable
car stereo placec *may* have an idea as to what a car's charging system
can handle.

Of course the last car I had with a generator, my English Ford, had a
wimpy generator.  So wimpy (how small was it?) that when I replaced it
with the "high ouitput" unit, I upgraded all the way to a grand 25
amps.  My, how times have changed.

Remember.  All of this is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Jay Negrin
ARO So Cal

Hi Again,

Just a couple of Duetto questions for ya:

Does the stock generator put out enough current to power a car stereo
and  subwoofer, drawing somewhere between 10 and 15 amps ?

Has anyone ever wired up a cigarette lighter socket ? ( I want to be
able  to use my new radar detector and charge my cell phone, etc )?

Thanks,

Dan Walker