wow, that made a difference

82 Spider Veloce.  As of yesterday it resides in California (arrived by
truck from my old house in Atlanta)...

I had no idea just how bad my old distributor was until I replaced it
tonight with a new unit.  I had discovered some minor play in the old one
about 4 months ago (the only time I had ever inspected it), then 2 weeks ago
the distributor more or less fell apart while changing the rotor.

OK, so new distributor = HUGE difference in performance.  The car is much
more responsive and idles very smooth.

Note to self:  replace distributor every 100,000 or so miles!