Re: Couple of questions (Duetto generator upgrade?)

Hi Dan:

There's a good article at the link below about replacing your Duetto's
generator with an alternator:

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/3837/duealt.html

In my own experience with my '74 Spider, which originally had an
alternator, I found the current output to be insufficient on several
occasions.  An example would be during one of our Florida monsoon days,
when I've got the wipers and defroster fan on high, and all the lights on,
including the H4 headlights.  My car also has an electronic ignition and
electric radiator fan, further adding to the alternator's load.  Even with
a new, large battery, the stock 35-amp alternator would slowly fall behind
and the battery would get low after several hours of driving.

My solution was to install a GTV6/Milano alternator, which was virtually a
bolt-on swap, and except for the internal voltage regulator, appears
stock.  The unit I bought was an American-rebuilt Bosch unit, with a 75-amp
rating and a lifetime warranty, all for $125.  The original alternator was
close enough in appearance that it was acceptable as a core unit.  After
installing the new one, everything on the car worked better, but most
noticeable were things like brighter headlights and faster wiper
speed.  Some minor rewiring was necessary, because of the internal voltage
regulator, and at the same time, for about $15, I replaced both the battery
cables, too.

Regarding the 10 to 15 amp draw of the car stereo you mentioned, I'd be
surprised if the sustained draw was more than 3 to 5 amps, although you
might see a peak when the amp(s) is first turned on.  For the lighter/power
socket, most auto parts stores will have one available for just a few
$.  Install it with an inline fuse.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
'74 Spider Veloce