Re: spider distributor numbers

Hi Shane:

Your distributor number is on the shaft, stamped or cast in, just above the
clamp.  I think on your '77, it should be a Marelli S103BA.

As for other distributors that might fit, the Bosch 009, a VW unit, looks
like it should.  I bought one a while ago to experiment with.  Two
differences that need correction, though.  The drive dog that engages the
oil pump is shorter on the 009, and should probably be swapped with the
real Alfa part (fairly simple).  The big problem with the 009 is that the
advance curve is off by miles for an Alfa motor.  The curve comes in too
early and reaches max advance at way too low an rpm.  It's likely easier
and cheaper to look for an old Bosch 044 or 045 distributor, as used on the
pre-Spica 105 cars, and just drop that in.  I'm using an 044 in my '74
Spica Spider, modified to work with a breakerless Crane XR3000 spark box
and LX91 coil, and have been very satisfied with the results.  AR Ricambi
sells a "performance" set of advance springs for the Marelli distributors
that you might also try for just a few $.  I installed them in my stock
S103BA, but there was a much bigger performance gain with the stock 044.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
'74 Spider Veloce
Lutz, FL