Re: Cruise control

Gabriel:
Firstly, I don't know of a cruise application for the spider.

As a taker of long trips in an Alfa, I wholeheartedly sympathize with your
desire for a rest for your ignition foot. The 105 Sprints and maybe the 101's
too (had two but can't recall) had a hand throttle. It did provide a good rest
for the right foot on endless superhighway miles.

I think fed regs did away with it. Think about having something happen with
the throttle mechanically jammed open.

Those who have pooh-poohed your query about the 'needless' cruise device are
thinking of their Alfas on Alfa roads where the clutching and braking and
sawing on the shift knob provide the variety and movement which will limit the
pain of an immobile foot. They may be right about the ability of especially an
add on cruise to work reliably . . .

Data points:
--I test drove a used '91 Automatic Spider (did not have cruise.) I don't know
if you can generalize from that one point.
--My Milano did not have cruise! Talk about uncomfortable foot / leg
position!  I would sometimes put my left foot on the pedal to relieve the
pain. God help me if something had happened and I had to brake with my legs
tangled.
--I paid to have a cruise kit put in my early Milano.  It never worked right.
For a while it worked while the engine was not up to temp. I think the brain
mounted under the hood got cooked by high under hood temps. Partially the
Milano and partially August in TX also the application may not have been
designed for high under hood temps?.

If you have a skilled engineer/mechanic who understands the problem, something
can probably worked out adapting an add on cruise application meant for some
lesser vehicle.

Good Luck,
Bernie Bennett
Brenham, TX
164 automatics w/cruise

ps. If you try the leg crossing thing, make sure there are no cars around and
no likelihood of a deer jumping out from the brush. bjb