turn signals

Luca's turn signal troubles motivated me to ask a question I've been
meaning to for a long time.  The turn signals on my '82 GTV6 begin
with the off part of the cycle when you turn them on.  In other cars,
they start with the on cycle so you can tap the signal stalk and get
a blink or two for a lane change.  In my GTV6, I turn the signal on
and then wait for a second before I get a flash.  Can I rewire
anything to make it work the other way?  Is it supposed to behave
like this?

Thanks,
Curious Joe