Subject: Adjusting Koni gas shocks

If they are, in fact, Koni gas shocks, I believe they should be high
pressure gas.  Not deCarbon, but high pressure, none-the-less.  If they
are, and the shocks are left to their own devices, they will expand, all
on their own.  Mine came, from the factory, with metal bands holding
them compressed.  It was, um, interesting, getting the rear ones in
position.

If yours do not "auto-expand" the gas may have gone back to the
atmosphere.  No use checking, as I think they use nitrogen for the
shocks.  Never trace that stuff.

If they are in fact shot, I would guess that Koni could re-build them,
at a price.  I think they are NLA from Koni.  Maybe some NOS available
somewhere.  I had a right rear (narer the exhaust, so no surprise) go
'flat' on me, and without the original receipt, Koni would not honor the
lifetime warranty.  No surprise on that, either.  I was in touch with
Koni anyway, and was offered a "killer deal" on a pair of new rear
shocks, which, I was told, they no longer made.  The fronts were no
longer in stock at Koni, but they had some rear shocks left.  This was a
couple of years ago.

Jay Negrin

-- - - - - - - - - - - - ----- - - - -- - - - - - - - --- - --

Probably mentioned I received a pair of loose used rear Koni gas shocks
with the '79 Alfetta GT.

Sticker says to "Press button and turn piston rod clockwise to increase
damping forces."

I press button and turn and turn and turn, etc. It turns forever without
a stop. Am I in trouble?

With the older shocks one presses down on the piston rod and then there
are about three (?) complete turns from 'soft' to 'hard'.
 I tried that with these, but to no avail.

The shocks seem to be in pretty good condition, although the buttons
seem to be stuck in the down position. How does one get them back up? Or

is this their way of saying the gas is gone? It does take a pretty good
push to get the piston rods all the way down, though.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA