RE: Alfa Factory Tools - Front Suspension

> Being fairly new to the list, I suspect that this has already
> been covered,
> etc., but...
>    Can anyone enlighten me as to U.S. sources for the Alfa factory service
> tools that are identified in the service manuals?  I just called Foreign
> Cars Italia in Greensboro, NC and was told that those tools have been
> unavailable for about two years.
<snip>

I bought a fairly complete set of factory tools from  dealer that dropped
Alfa a while back.  Since then, I've seen more than one collection, or
partial collection, offered in this manner.

Otherwise, some clubs keep an inventory of tools lying around.

Many of the Alfa special tools are not completely necessary, they simply
make some jobs easier.  For some of the tools, there are generic tools
available that make the job as easy, or easier, than the factory tool.  Some
of the factory tools are simply indispensable.

For Christmas this year I got a reproduction of the brake caliper piston
alignment tools.  These were crafted by Jim Steck, of Autocomponenti, who is
a valuable contributor to this digest.  My favorite, and most useful,
Christmas gift.

Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, I'd start by picking up some
decent, generic tools.  Ball joint removers, pickle forks, steering wheel
pullers, bushing pullers, etc.  The factory spring compressor is a *great*
tool, but again you can make your own, maybe buy a generic one, or as some
people have done you can use a couple of pieces of threaded stock.

I think you'll find that for the most part you can get away without most of
the special tools.

bs