re: Center headlights on Alfettas

On Saturday, Stephano asked -

<<What are the center pair of headlights on the Alfetta for? Fog lights?
Where is the switch for them anyway? I've never been able to turn them
on in the 7 years I've had my car. The  previous owner made a custom
wood console from the shifter up to the horizontal heater controls and
ripped out the air conditioning.
If it's in this area, it's probably gone. Anyone?>>

ON my 76 Alfetta GT, I, too, thought that the high beams were burnt out,
as they did not come on when switched to do so.  Turned out to be the
switch, which has some bad news and some good news tied to that
repair/replacement.,

The headlights work as follows:
Rotate the 'knob' at the end of the light stalk.
One notch for parking lights; two for main/dipped headlights (the outer
lights).
Push down for high beams (outer PLUS inner lights).

If the high beams do not come on, and the bulbs appear to be good, then
then the problem may be in the switch, as with my car.  The switch had
burnt out/broken/whatever, during the POs stewardship.  It was rewired
so that either the high beam or low beam postion would give me low beams
only.  No hight beam possible.
My replacement was with a GTV6 (the good news) unit, as the Alfetta
piece was NLA (a bit of bad news).  The switch unit controls the
headlighs AND the windshield wipers (another bit of bad new$$).  It
works OK, except that there is no intermittent wiper operation in the
Alfetta, but their is a position for it on the GTV6 switch.  Also, could
not get the two speeds working for the windshield wipers.  No biggy, as
I now have just one speed, slow, instead of two, slow and very sluggish.

As everyone else says, good luck and YMMV

Jay Negrin
ARO So Cal