re: Cruise, Tires, Vent window

Hi Gabriel, I'm catching up on Digests but I'd like to offer my comments
to your post in AD#390:

"In early April I'm planning to escape Florida for a trip to Maine via,
NYC, Upstate NY,Boston, Cape Cod, and up to Booths Bay, Maine. I've
already been told I'm insane for taking such a trip in my 86 Spider...."
& "was there ever a stock truck rack for the Spider..If so are they
available and from who?"

Easy, piece of cake in a Spider.  I'm sure Gordy Hyde has already
replied that you can pack a ton of stuff in a Spider.  Pack backpacking
gear if you plan on camping along the way & you can use the shelf behind
the seats for plenty of storage in addition to the deceptively large
trunk.  You (and a passenger) should be more than comfortable with the
storage space provide by a Spider w/o the need for a luggage rack.
Besides, you wouldn't want you Alfa confused for an MG would you? ;-)

"Has anyone installed a cruise control on a Spider? If so, who's the
manufacturer and where can I find one?"

Ok here's another unecessary item as you should be driving winding roads
most of the entire trip, right?  Besides that just another thing that
can break or cause problems.

"I would never have one of these on my car, but I'll be leaving on this
trip shortly after a re-spay.. A Bra..."

This is a matter of personal choice.  Do you want rock chips or worn
paint from the bra rubbing/virbrating on it?  I had one on my 164
briefly & opted to go with the rock chips.  I was using my 164 for
skiing quite a bit & just one trip up to the mountain & back would
deposite a fair amount of sand/gravel under the bra & start sanding the
paint away before I could get home to wash it clean.

"I currently have Yoko AVS-I (205 65 14) on my Spider, but they have
some wear and I'd like to replace them for the trip. I called Tire Rack
and then Yoko themselves and both told me the AVSI's are gone,
discontinued, no more, and that they currently have no Yoko's that are
speed rated like the I's and in my size. Can someone recommend another
tire that is 14" and Speed rated and can be trusted with both highway
SPEED and New England spring rain?"

Hmm, my friend just bought AVSi's in 195/60-14" a month ago from
Discount Tire, he must've picked up the last set.  Aren't 205/65-14 a
little too tall for Spiders?  Wouldn't 195/65 or 205/60 be a closer
choice for correct OD tire size?  There are plenty of tires that are
very good (great wet & dry results) in that size:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone/bs_re950.jsp  These put up
some very good survey results
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/firestone/fs_sh30.jsp Great stats here too
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/yokohama/yo_avidh4.jsp These do not appear
to perform as well but are cheaper

I'm actually considering this trio for my street Alfetta GT in the order
listed.  It just depends on how much $$$ I feel like spending.  I
usually opt for higher performance tires.  Higher performance does not
just mean good dry traction.  Since the roads are wet so often in the
PNW, I like a tire that has very good wet traction as well.

Good luck with all of it,
Zach
Redmond, WA