strange 164 hi-beam problem

I have a strange problem with my 164 hi-beams.  About 1/2 of the
trips I make at night my brights don't work.  I try to put them
on and all headlights go off.  The other half of the trips they
work perfectly.  Two clues: 1. they either work or not on a per
trip basis, not on a per switch click basis; 2. I have a Canadian
version 1991 164S that has the headlights hard wired to always
be on when the car is started.

Any ideas?  Bad relay?

Lawrence Hegarty, Hillsborough, NJ
91 164, 86 Spider, 82 GTV6