SUV, was GTV Fuel pump

Gregory S. Youngblood" <greg@domain.elided> wrote:

>Ah yes, another "religious" topic. ;)
>
>As a modest sized SUV owner/driver (Suburban) I would disagree. The
>problem is quite simply the drivers themselves...

A Sub-Urban is MODEST?  C'mon Greg, only the Ford Excursion throws a bigger
shadow, and before it arrived your steed was the 64 oz. Big Gulp of cabin
cruisers.  I do agree that many people who have moved up from cars in the mad
SUV worship of the past few years have not made the connection that they are
now piloting a truck.  They seem completely ignorant of the mass they are
hustling down the road.  I see SO many people around Portland driving too fast
for the combination of road conditions and vehicle capabilities.  Thank God
most of the newer SUV's have anti-lock brakes, at least that ups the odds that
my wife will make it home each day without getting run over.

That doesn't help all the parking lot damage we have suffered from the
ever-present trailer hitches -- why they bother to install the receiver socket
is a mystery to me, no one ever takes the damn hitch off anyway.  We've
replaced 2 radiators in our Jetta after someone backed their hitch through the
front of the car trying to parallel park -- no note, no offer to pay for the
damage, they probably didn't even feel the impact from their perch 30 feet
away...  Someone even bumper-creased the side of my SUV in the Home Depot
parking lot, again no note.  In 26 years as a driver I've almost always owned
a full size 4WD pickup or SUV for towing, camping, skiing, etc. and I've never
hit a parked car (or a moving one, for that matter).  I'm glad station wagons
are in fashion again, maybe the trend-chasers will move on to one of those and
get back in a vehicle they are more qualified to operate.

Wow, what a rant.  I think I need a week somewhere sunny, I'm suffering from
Portland Winter Induced Whining...

Tony
74 GTV