Re: Aussie headlamps (Alfetta GTV)

In digest 381, Joe asks "Dare I ask why Down-Under-spec headlamps
are different than those used in the rest of the world
(excluding the USA)?"

Amongst the other good responses to this question,
as far as I know there was some legislation in the US
which prescribed the fitment of standard headlamps (either
rectangular or circular).  This resulted in all sorts of
US headlamps wierdness.

Particularly ugly to most eyes was the Volvo 240 with the 4
tiny rectangular lights in place of the big rectangular job
the rest of the world got.  Quad headlight Mercedes were also
unique to the US.

I'd agree with the assessment of the quality of Carello lights.
They sound romantic, but are largely garbage.  A few years ago,
when reviving Trusty the Alfetta I had many weekends of fun
trying to salvage 4 good headlights from parts cars around
Sydney.  I saw some very "unique" headlights fitted in place
of the Carello's in my travels (including one car with 4 Lucas
sealed beam units held in with a combination of pop rivets
and duct tape).  Scary.

dave.

1978 Alfetta GTV "trusty"
1975 Alfa spider veloce "rusty"
1994 Volvo 850 T5 wagon (in disgrace after eating it's own turbo)