Re: alfa-digest V8 #380

alfa@domain.elided writes:
>Dear All:
>
>Two Questions:
>
>1.  I am removing the exhaust system on my gtv 6.  I
>have gotten all the hardware loose except for the
>bolts holding the passenger side exhaust manifold to
>the downpipe on that side.  There is a spacer on each
>bolt that I can't budge.  I've been soaking it with
>penetrating oil.  Does anyone know how these spacers
>are secured?  I have tried hitting the bolts with a
>hammer to free them.  Any suggestions?

I am not following your question.  If you are referring to where the cat
pipe connects to the exhaust manifold, I am not aware of any spacer
holding  any bolts.  There are nuts there.  There are 3 bolts that hold
the exhaust manifold to the engine.  There are only washers behind the
bolt head.  There is a spacer between the connection where the cat pipe
meets the manifold.  If that is what you are referring to,  once you take
off the nuts to the connection, you can pull the manifold out.  That
should make it easier to work on the spacer.  Nothing is holding it there.
 It is a slide fit.  At least outside the car, penetrating oil would flow
down and make it easier.  If it won't budge still,  I would take a flat
punch and tap on both sides to knock it loose.