RE: Routine (head) Retourque

> Major question (which definitely shows my age): Since I was a wee lad,
> was always told to torque heads down cross ways, do it a bit at a time,
> and always use a torque wrench.
>
> Suspect there are no arguments there (unless you misinterpret what I
> mean by cross ways).
>
> Now, going the other direction, was told to Always loosen each head bolt
> / nut just a bit to break it loose, then, and only then undo them all.
> Never, Ever undo only one head bolt / nut by itself because it releases
> 'strain' on the head in only one place and could crack the head.
>
> Now I'll admit, most of the heads on cars in those days were thin and
> flat, unlike the Alfa 4-cylinder head, but still...undo only one nut at
> a time???

Yes.  On An Alfa, loosen, then retorque, one head nut at a time.  Don't ever
have more than one loosened at any one time.

Cross-wise makes sense, the factory specifies the exact sequence, basically
you start in the middle and then work your way outwards, cross-wise.

If you loosen more than one nut, you increase the risk of breaking the head
gasket seal.  Loosen them all and you are pretty much guaranteed.

bs