Routine (head) Retourque

Major question (which definitely shows my age): Since I was a wee lad,
was always told to torque heads down cross ways, do it a bit at a time,
and always use a torque wrench.

Suspect there are no arguments there (unless you misinterpret what I
mean by cross ways).

Now, going the other direction, was told to Always loosen each head bolt
/ nut just a bit to break it loose, then, and only then undo them all.
Never, Ever undo only one head bolt / nut by itself because it releases
'strain' on the head in only one place and could crack the head.

Now I'll admit, most of the heads on cars in those days were thin and
flat, unlike the Alfa 4-cylinder head, but still...undo only one nut at
a time???

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA