Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 22:02:27 -0800
From: "Tom Sahines" <tsahines@domain.elided>
Subject: BAD CAT? READ THIS
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Cc: Charles.Slayman@domain.elided

Determining if a cat is good or bad is such a simple thing to do I dont
understand why all the mystery. Any good diagnostic mechanic can determine
the state of the cat in 15 seconds.

Warm the engine and then measure the temp of the inlet side of the cat and
the outlet side of the cat using a simple infrared gun (Raytek <$100).
Since the reaction is exothermic the outlet must be hotter than the inlet
(usually by about 100 deg F). If this is the case the cat is OK. If the
inlet and outlet temps are similar the cat has lost its ability to react.
If the inlet is hotter than the outlet then the cat is plugged.

Now you can either cross this off your list or replace the cat as necessary.

BTW this type of instrument (Raytek) is great for radiator problems. Also
good to diagnose a missing cylinder by simply pointing it at the exhaust
header for that cylinder. A missing cylinder will have cooler exhaust than
one that is running. This tool also works great for finding air leaks in
your home.
Tom Sahines ARA Tech Hot Line
Milpitas CA