RE: Electrical Died Suddenly

Khairil Nizam Yahaya writes.

"Recently I encountered a problem with my car, without any reason while
cruising at moderate speed, suddenly all the check lights comes out and
disabled all electrical item inside the car. But the engine will still
be running. Just imagine cruisin' on the highway in the middle of a hot
day without air-conditioning and without being able to lower down you
windows. After a while, it just come back just like that. So far it has
hit me 3 or 4 times within 2 weeks."

I've had the same thing happen to me twice in my '91 164.  First time in
1999, I would be driving along and suddenly no lights, blinkers,
windows, wipers (fun in rainy seattle), cooling fan (scary) - everything
that the key needs to be in run position in order to work.  Jiggling the
key would bring it all back.  The cure was a new ignition switch.  Last
week I had the same thing happen, but no amount of key jiggling would
cure.  This time I had to turn on the parking lights via the dash switch
then fog lights, then headlights and everything would then work.  This
time it was the ignition switch and the parking lamp control relay.
Needless to say I'm not too thrilled about replacing the ignition switch
plus the rest of the locks twice in 3 years, and no I only have the key
and alarm transmitter on my keyring.

Cheers,
John

Seattle, WA