Re: FWD vs. RWD Here is the engineering behind the debate.

Steve Moresi wrote:

> Given some time this weekend I'll do up a front engined car.  Does someone
> have weight distros of a FWD alfa, and CG height?

No figures for a modern FWD alfa, but for the Alfasud I'm told it's
about 65:35 or 63:37 and total weight of about 880kg (less for series 1,
more for a Sprint or late model 4 door) for a Series 2/3 Alfasud Ti.
Don't know about CG height, but with the boxer engine it must be pretty
low. I just had a look at my own 'sud and the centre line of the
crank/cams/heads (SOHC per cylinder bank) etc is about 380mm above
ground (rough measurements with a tape measure in poor light!).

Be interested to see what you come up with. Anyone got some figures for
weight distribution etc of moderm FWD Alfas? Or for that matter, Lancia
Fulvia, Peugeot 205 GTI, Renault Clio Williams and other good handling
FWD cars (for their day) and for RWD Alfas.

Although I'd suggest the reason we love the handling of these cars had
got a lot to do with the grin factor and little to do with the basic
maths.

Best Regards
Lex Jenner
1982 Alfasud Ti 1.5