nice marketing

For any of you BMW fans, or anyone who appreciates a good ad, in
yesterday's Wall Street Journal  (1/7/02,page A7), was a full page and full
color piece showing about a hundred photos of BMW 2002's. Many different
models, styles, colors, and settings, with more than a few racers. Nice
work-I was wondering if they would tie the year and this famous piece of
their heritage somehow.
The only questionable part of the work is where they call the BMW 2002 "
the world's first genuine sports sedan".  As I once pointed out in a letter
written to, and published in, Road & Track magazine (who once
madeessentially that same incorrect statement) -
"Inventing the concept of a sports sedan belongs to Alfa Romeo for its
Giulia TI, subsequent Giulia Super, and derivative TI Super,which regularly
trounced BMW on the racetrack."
An Alfa Romeo ad from 1965 listed over a hundred Giulia TI race wins around
the world from 1964, while my favorite is the 1967 Super "lead a double
life" ad, where the car is split in half with Dad helmeted and the
headlights taped for racing on one side of the page, with Mom, kids, and
dog in the car on the other side of the page.  Let's hope that Alfa will
use imaginative marketing in the future, as well.

Robert Clauss
Mt. Prospect, IL  USA

'65 Giulia TI
'86 Graduate