Re: FWD / RWD / 3 cylindersthe final solution?

On Mon, 07 Jan 2002, Biba wrote....
> I propose a slight compromise for the 'upcoming' AlfasMWD. Middle Wheel
> Drive (six, count 'em, six) wheels with the two driven wheels in the
> center should satisfy All 'enders'. True, the front door designers will
> have their work cut out, but hey, that's why they get the big lira.

The front door design on MWD cars could solved by moving to five wheels - yes
FIVE. The central located drive wheel would eliminate those problems with long
driveshafts (no more giubo posts to the digest), but would create a slight
problem for the auto interior designers with that lump in the transmission
tunnel (where to locate the cup holders?). Never mind, quirky interior design
is part of the Alfa tradition, so I wouldn't expact that to be a problem.

> 3 cylinders, why not? Moving on, Alfa should also offer engines with 4
> (what a concept), 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, & 13. Can't do 8 or 12, Ferrari
> has a patent on those (at least in FIAT land).

Fiat already do an inline 5. Ferrari do a 10, but I guess it can't be much
good cause I think they only have 2 customers. One of them seems to have run
out of money, so that could drop to one customer this year. I was under the
impression that VW/Audi had some sort of patent on all the really stupid engine
configurations like V7 and W13.

> Must say, these two subjects leave me Absolutely Spellbound.

Makes a change from what colour socks the CEO of GM is wearing today and what
that means for future Alfa Romeos.

Regards
Lex Jenner
Auckland/New Zealand